Welcome to Nateby Inn locatored in Yorkshire Dales National Park
Capture the beauty of the Yorkshire Dales National Park
Westmorland Dale Yorkshire Dales National Park
On 1 August 2016, the National Park officially grew by nearly a quarter, with an extra 161 square miles (417 square kilometres) of stunning upland landscape treasured through national designation for everyone to enjoy. The boundary covers new areas in Cumbria and, for the first time, a small part of Lancashire, too. To the north, it includes the stark limestone-terraced plateau of Great Asby Scar, the velvet rounded contours of the northern Howgill Fells, distinctive Wild Boar Fell and Mallerstang, and Nateby.
Wensleydale Yorkshire Dales
Wensleydale is one of the most northerly of the Yorkshire Dales, which are renowned for the beauty of their landscapes and their picturesque stone villages and towns. Wensleydale became particularly well known to viewers of the television series All Creatures Great and Small, based on the books about the life of vet James Herriot. Much of the TV series was filmed in this area. The area has also been used as the location for many films, including Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, which was partly filmed at Aysgarth Falls nearby. More recently Calendar Girls - the story of the creation of the famous Alternative W.I. Calendar - was filmed around Kettlewell in Wharfedale.
Askrigg is an ancient upper dales market town. The main street passes the church which was built in 1240, replacing an earlier chapel of ease. Outside the church in a cobbled area is the old market cross and bull ring where bulls were once tied for baiting.
At one time Askrigg was renowned for clock-making but a more recent claim to fame was its use as the location for the television vet series 'All Creatures Great and Small' which viewers of the long-running BBC TV series All Creatures Great and Small will recognise Askrigg as the home of Skeldale House, where vet James Herriot lived.
Listed in the Doomsday Book, Askrigg was granted a market charter in 1587 by Queen Elizabeth I but declined in importance with the coming of the railways to Hawes, a railway which was sadly closed down in the early 60's,but which is now in the process of being reinstated.
Aysgarth is perhaps best known for its breathtaking triple flight of waterfalls, carved out by the River Ure on its descent to Mid-Wensleydale. The Upper Fall was featured in the film Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. Aysgarth Falls cover almost a one-mile stretch of the River Ure. These spectacular falls are best seen after a decent downpour. There are three distinct waterfalls; upper, middle and lower - the upper falls are a must.
Dent is a classic Yorkshire Dales village, full of cobbled streets, whitewashed cottages and little shops. Dent was the birthplace of Professor Adam Sedgewick, an eminent Victorian geologist, and a huge granite fountain in the village commemorates his life. The village has existed since Norman times, St. Andrew's Church having a Norman doorway, and the village even today certainly has an ancient feel about it. Well worth a visit.
Ingleton nestles in the shadow of Ingleborough on whose distinctive flat top an impressive iron age hill fort is situated. Well worth a visit for those who are able enough, perhaps passing by the vast pot hole of Gaping Ghyll on the way there.
White Scar Cave is open to visitors. Colouring is Spectacular with good examples of stalactites and stalagmites (the mites go up and the tights go down!). The drive from Cotterdale to Ingleton is an interesting one, passing by Limestone Pavement - a natural feature, and the Ribblehead Viaduct on the preserved Settle to Carlisle railway route.
Sedbergh is an anomaly. Still in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, it was politically part of Yorkshire until 1974, when it was placed in Cumbria. Surrounded by the Howgill Fells, this former market town's narrow cobbled main street is lined with shops. Its location where four rivers meet made it a natural for early civilizations and the development of a market from the 13th century. Sheep grazing on local hillsides provided wool for the five mills (in production until 1992), the main source of employment for the village. Both the 12th century Norman church of St Andrews (restored in 1886) and the 14th century chemist's shop (seen on BBC's "House Detectives") attest to the age of the village. St Andrews has a five light stained glass window and a tower with a ring of eight bells. There is evidence of more ancient settlers in Sedbergh. The Romans, Saxons, and Vikings left behind their architectural clues. A motte and bailey castle, Castlehow, protected the town from Scottish raiders.
Visitors to Leyburn often miss this, spending their time in the shops and attractions in and near the Market Place. But there is glorious scenery and fresh air right there on the doorstep. if you follow a sign off the market place for "Leyburn Shawl" you're in for a treat. In no time you find yourself in the peace and quiet above the town with splendid views and great walks. The Shawl is the name for the hill above the town - lots of versions for why it got it's name, but the most romantic is about Mary Queen of Scots losing her shawl here while trying to escape from nearby Bolton Castle.
Middleham noteworthy for its long history, its imposing castle, and the breeding and training of racehorses - which are usually in evidence there. Middleham's prominence began shortly after the conquest when it became a Norman stronghold. It once had political importance as the seat of the powerful Neville family. It was at Middleham Castle that the Yorkist King Edward IV and his brother Richard Duke of York (later King Richard III) learned to be knights - in social as well as military terms. Mock battles are still held from time to time at Middleham. It was also at Middleham that Richard fell in love with Warwick the Kingmaker's daughter, Anne Neville - one of his childhood playmates. Eventually, after her first 'child husband' - the then Prince of Wales, was killed at Tewkesbury during the Wars of the Roses, Richard married Anne and made Middleham Castle his own seat of power. However Middleham's importance declined after the death of Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485, and the castle is generally now in ruins; its walls still massively imposing. In front of the castle, in Middleham's cobbled upper market, worn carvings on the much weathered Swine Cross are thought to be Richard's emblem of a white boar, an emblem once common in the area. It is believed that the cross was built to mark the town's market charter of 1479. You will also find in the Swine Market an old bull ring where bulls were tied for baiting.
On display in the Castle Visitor centre is a replica of the Middleham Jewel, an ornate 15th Century gold pendant that was found in 1985 in a field near Middleham. Sold at the time for over a million pounds the original is now at the Yorkshire Museum, in York. Middleham's Church of St Mary and St Alkelda, dates from the 13th Century. it is held that St Alkelda was a local 9th Century Saxon princess strangled by pagan Viking women at a holy well hard-by the church.
Richmond is the chief town of Swaledale, and many of its houses are from Georgian times. The town has numerous attractions including waterfalls, a huge Norman castle and a maze of winding streets and old buildings. The centre of town is dominated by a large cobbled market place off which runs Frenchgate, a steep and ancient street well worth negotiating. Richmond Castle on the river Swale was constructed by one of William II most trusted supporters - Alan the Red of Brittany. One of the few Norman castles that never suffered a serious siege, it remains today in a better state of preservation that do most other castles from those times. The castle walls 109 feet high and 11 feet thick form an impressive barrier to attack along the top of the cliffs above the river.
The Georgian Theatre Royal in Richmond is a magical, Grade 1 listed building - as well as being living theatre. Its is a treasured part of Britain's national heritage. Guided tours are available, or you could perhaps see a performance.
On the outskirts of Richmond are the ruins of Byland Abbey. The church by the old Abbey has in it wall paintings of medieval origin, showing peasant agricultural activity amongst other rare depictions.